What plugins do I need for my WordPress site?
If you’ve got a WordPress website, you’ll know that the platform has plugins coming out its wazoo. Some great (and necessary), some not so much. So how do you know what plugins are absolutely essential for your website? Well…we’re going to tell you! If you’ve got any plugin recommendations, we’d love to hear from you, simply comment below with your must-have plugin.
But first, what’s a plugin? For those of you playing at home, a plugin is ‘a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites.’ Basically, it’s something you install on the back end of your website that will help improve the site’s features, functionality and performance.
With a 4.7 star rating and over 5,000 reviews, this plugin is by far the best migration plugin. In the event that you need to move your website to a new location, All-in-One WP Migration exports your entire website (database, media files, plugins and themes). It’s easy to use with a simple drag and drop method to move your entire website.
- No limitations on host or operating system.
- The plugin does not require PHP extensions.
- Compatible with WordPress V3.3 to present.
Acronym alert! SEO or Search Engine Optimisation is what every website owner needs to do to ensure their website can be found by Google.
The first step in optimising your website is to install an SEO plugin. There are loads of SEO plugins available, but Yoast SEO is the one and only SEO plugin you’ll need.
The plugin assists you in easily optimising each page of your website as well as any fresh content you publish.
- Title and meta description templates to create consistent snippets for Google to display.
- Advanced XML site maps, easily generated by clicking one button.
- Excellent control over site breadcrumbs.
As a website owner, the last thing you’d want is for some unsavoury character to post malicious or inappropriate content on your website, scaring off or offending your visitors.
Akismet checks web forms and comments for any inappropriate content and automatically sends it to SPAM.
- Automatically checks all comments and contact forms, while analysing the filters you’ve set.
- A discard feature to completely remove definitive SPAM, freeing up space on your site.
- Visible URLs in the body of the comments showing misleading links.
Jetpack is the plugin that will propel your website to infinity and beyond. It is a security, performance and site management plugin. It helps protect your website from unauthorized logins and vicious cyber-attacks.
The plugin also gives you access to a range of engagement, security, writing and appearance modules that help improve your website. These include, but are not limited to:
- Visitor engagement: insights into your website traffic
- Ads: to monetize your website
- Spam filtering: spamming out malicious comments or contact with your website
- Lazy images: to help boost page speed
But that’s not all! Watch this space for more plugins that will help improve your website’s features, functionality and performance.
Building a Website?
Just like all good houses start with bricks, all good websites start with blocks. Gutenize makes the new WordPress 5 Editor a complete Visual Page Builder.