BC4WP vs. WooCommerce.
At Gutenize we strive to make eCommerce a big part of working seamlessly with our theme and blocks. Although we try to stay unbiased, we occasionally get asked what is the best eComm solution? We think all the popular subscription cloud solutions are all relatively on-par and can achieve what you need at an affordable price!
In this post however, we’re specifically looking at BigCommerce’s plugin built for WordPress and how it stacks up against WooCommerce.
Who is BigCommerce?
BigCommerce is one of the world’s leading cloud eCommerce platforms for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, open architecture, an app ecosystem and market-leading performance, BigCommerce enables businesses to grow online sales with 80% less cost, time and complexity than on-premise software. BigCommerce powers B2B and B2C eCommerce across SMB, Mid-Market and Fortune 1000 brands.
Now read on to learn more about BC4WP vs. WooCommerce.
What is BC4WP?
BigCommerce for WordPress (BC4WP) is a plugin that brings together the flexibility and openness of the WordPress platform with the scalability and robust commerce engine that is BigCommerce. With BC4WP you manage content in WordPress and commerce in BigCommerce. In developer terms, this blending of two platforms is known as headless.
WordPress delivers the front-end experience (website) while BigCommerce handles the commerce-specific aspects of the website such as catalog management, transactions, orders, shipping, payment gateway etc.
Who is WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is an open-source eCommerce plugin for WordPress designed for small to large sized online merchants using WordPress. WooCommerce has gained popularity because it offers many free base features to run an online store, a variety of extensions, and is open-source.
WooCommerce Pain Points
- Front-end performance suffers from back end issues. Managing traffic and checkout spikes are hard to manage at scale.
- WooCommerce isn’t PCI compliant out of the box and maintaining compliance requires more time and work.
- WooCommerce doesn’t offer support beyond an e-ticket or forums. Must rely on staff or pay for third-party support.
- Requires several additional plugins to manage store basics and becomes expensive.
- Unrestricted Scalability: BC4WP handles backend commerce resources outside of WordPress so daily tasks don’t slow the merchant’s site down.
- Complex Catalog Support: BigCommerce allows merchants to manage large order volume and can handle up to 600 SKUs per product.
- Lower TCO: BC4WP already includes core ecommerce features that greatly reduce the plugin costs.
Benefits of BC4WP
BUILT TO SCALE WITHOUT LOSING SPEED OR UPTIME
- WooCommerce is hosted using an all-in-one solution which means shared sources affect the merchant’s live store and control panel
- Continue to tap into the unrestricted customization of WordPress while pairing it with the most scalable SaaS ecommerce engine. BigCommerce lets you build complex catalogs, manage large volumes of concurrent traffic, orders, and analytics.
- Having a SaaS ecommerce engine behind the scenes is that the core platform is already built for mid-market and enterprise use cases. Natively connect to your existing ERP suites, PIM software, OMS solutions, POS systems or marketing automation tools.
AUTOMATED PCI COMPLIANCE AND MULTI-LAYERED SECURITY
- WooCommerce is not PCI certified, so merchants are responsible for their own PCI compliance.
- BigCommerce is a PCI certified Level 1 Service Provider and powers the full checkout experience, assuming the burden of PCI compliance for you.
CORE ECOMMERCE FEATURES & SUPPORT
- WooCommerce supports less than 25 combinations of coupons and no cart-level discounts (i.e. coupon code is required), and relies on third-party plugins to fill these gaps. BigCommerce natively supports over 70 different combinations of discounts & coupons.
- It takes numerous additional plugins on WooCommerce to reach feature parity with BC4WP. This increases costs and takes significant additional work to install, configure, and keep everything running smoothly together.
Feature Comparison Chart
|24/7 Phone Support||Included||$40-$300/month|
|Out of Box Feature Set||Robust||Limited|
|Omni-Channel (Sell on Marketplaces)||Included||$30-$99/month|
|Wholesale Pricing/Customer Groups||Included||$59 -$300|
|PCI & Security||Included||Merchant responsible for cost|
|Mobile Version||Included||$30 -$199|
Note: Feature’s compared from Jan 2019.